Mr. Holland’s Opus
Starring: Richard Dreyfuss,
Glenne Headly, etc.
Director: Stephen Herek
Year of Release: 1995
Video Release Date: April 2, 2002
Composer Glenn Holland is forced to take a
job teaching music to pay the rent. Meanwhile, in his spare
time, he strives to achieve the one goal he thinks will justify
his life: writing one memorable piece of music. But as the
years slip by with his main goal unfulfilled, he finds that
teaching itself has surprisingly become the life fulfillment
he never suspected it could be. Through the way he teaches
music, he helps many students to change their negative view
of themselves into healthy self-esteem. This helps Holland
to increasingly value himself.
- How did Glenn Holland first think negatively
- How, do you think, was he able to let go of his self-doubts?
- Imagine yourself as Glenn when he let go of his negative
- What distorted thoughts about yourself are dropping away
as you “become” him?
- How does this feel?
- How do you see yourself and your environment now?